My Boys

My Boys

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Update

So after long prayerful weeks I have decided to only do what subjects are required by the state of Texas. They are:

Reading
Writing
Spelling
Math
Citizen

I have awesome friends that are helping me get all of this sorted out. With me being a first time HS AND I am having a baby, I have decided to not over do it. This came to me as some good advice. I think I will take it too. So for:

Reading I still haven't made up my mind on what to do
Writing I am doing the Handwriting without tears program
Spelling is the Spell to Write
Math is going to be the Teaching Textbooks program (this is all on the computer and is all taught to them. I don't need to do anything but supervise and coach when needed)
Citizen I am doing the ABC's of Citizen. A friend sent me a list with each letter meaning something that we can talk about and do something with ie: craft or activity.

I then will add in all other subjects and activities as time goes and we get the hang of things. I know I have to de-schoolize them for a bit too. Ricky has been going to school for six years now. I have missed out on a lot, but I know that it wasn't the time to school them until now. This HSing thing will take some time to learn and get the hang of. I am not promising it will go without any problems. I just know that I will give it my all and just try to do my best.

Later this summer when I do buy the material I want, I will then get a somewhat of idea of a schedule up and running. I do have some goals that I want to accomplish by the end of the year.

1. Make sure we are having fun.
2. Check up on Cameron and see if I am ready to pull him from school.
3. School 4 days a week at first for the first 3 months. Just to get the hang of it and to let Friday be a make up day and a special day to do some sort of activity together.
4. School for 5 weeks on and then take the 6th week to either catch up from bad days we may have or take a break.
5. Slowly add on more subjects.

I have more, but that is all I can think of right now. Of course all of this is me brain storming and getting them written down so I don't forget or loose my notes:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment